Yosemite National Park/Mariposa Grove
October 8-10, 2021 — This is an overnight trip that we had planned to make last year but was postponed because of heavy smoke due to forest fires. But this year, things are looking much better. Following is our itinerary for this trip:
Friday Oct. 8th:
- Meet in Carson City at 7:30am, departing by 7:45am
- Drive to Yosemite via Hwy 395 and CA120 over Tioga Pass
- The drive from Carson City to the Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite Valley is about 5 hours with a couple of rest stops.
- This would put us at the Hotel by around 1:00pm.
- Have lunch at the Ahwahnee Hotel dining room. Lunch service is from 11:30am to 2pm. It will be a boxed lunch that you can order and eat in the dining room. No service is available.
- After lunch drive to Mirror Lake, at the end of the Valley, and wander around for about 30 minutes or so.
- Drive to exit the Valley on Wawona Road and make a photo stop at the valley overlook on Glacier Point Road.
- Continue on Wawona Road to CA41 to exit the park. Drive to Oakhurst and check in to hotels.
Saturday Oct. 9th:
- Drive into the park and explore (as a group or on your own).
Sunday Oct. 10th:
- Drive into the park to the Mariposa Grove arrival area. Hike to the big trees via the "Big Trees Loop Trail".
- The hike is 4 miles round trip, and 500' elevation change to get close to the trees. A closer view of the trees is 5.5 mile round trip with a 1,000' elevation change.
- Depart at your leisure for home as you feel comfortable.